Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Read between the lines.

As both coffee and God-lover, I ask myself if people nowadays take sugar in their coffee with a Bible verse or two, or I'm the only one.

Far from being a religious-freak, I do feel caught in the act when people stare at me while pulling a Bible out of my bag to read it in... Starbucks!

What's the difference between doing just that and scrolling through a book on a tablet or notebook? Or going through e-mail on your laptop?

When did we become so biased about what's socially acceptable and what's not, while sipping a whipped-cream caramel mocha with cinnamon sprinkle in the middle of the day?

I feel odd. I feel looked at. And I feel judged by people who don't know me, just because I don't hide my habit behind a screen or the preoccupied look on a face covered with glasses.

I see people doing that all the time: staring amazed or nodding their head in disbelief. Or simply thinking you're "stupied".

I fumble when that happens. I look down in my Book and keep reading, just to shoo away the raised eyebrows and grins. I feel outnumbered and less than minus in a society that values looks over brains and brains over heart. A pale reflection in the mirror of a crowd so avid for deceit that I wonder: When did we become so keen on being lied to, with a bow-tie and cherry on top, after all?

My question's left unanswered as I look away and read on. But somewhere in the back of my head a still small voice keeps on nagging: I might be the last Mohican in a world swiftly changing, embracing atheism or computer science as the new religion.

And so I can't help but think: You're going down, World! Down down low, and you don't even know it. Hooray for me, 'cuz I'm on top... sipping my mocha, reading my Book. (Yey!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home